Reposted from the SCA Bards email list:
Crazy Llyw and Lady J, proprietors of the infamous Magic Carpet Kavehane, invite all those fond of creating alter-egos out of inanimate materials to test their mettle against their fellow artisans in the first-ever (to our knowledge) Shakespearean Puppet Competition.
Said sawdust smack-down will happen Friday night of the Northern Oaken War Maneuvers (presented by the Barony of Cleftlands/Shire of Falcon’s Quarry), June 5th, Wellington, Ohio, at O Dark Thirty. Location will be the Magic Carpet Kavehane.
Rules are as follows
- Present a song, sonnet or scene from Shakespeare (or the Shakespearean Theater scene?) of no more than six minutes in length.
- Puppets may be of any non-hazardous material—handmade preferable, commercial also permissible, but consult criteria below. No size limits on puppets, however, those who wish to perform with larger than life size puppets please contact the Impresarios well in advance of your intent.
A 3 ½ foot wide stage with a tasteful backdrop, roughly 4 feet off of the ground will be provided.
- Scope– level of difficulty—including construction of puppets, additional scenery, use of musical instruments, etc. If you choose to utilize a commercial puppet, consideration will made for creative costuming and use.
- Creativity-choice of literary material, adaptation of content and medium, presentation–style of puppet.
- Authenticity—recognizing that the will be a need for adaptation and editing in most cases, entry will be judged on how close the performance comes to the style and spirit of the Elizabethan Era.
Grand Prize is still under discussion but will be—grand.
To enter* or with questions please contact :
Llywelyn “Crazy Llyw” Glyndeyverdwy email@example.com
Juliane “Lady J” Bechaumpe firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the Northern Oaken War Maneuvers:
*Entries will be accepted on-site until the competition begins. Order of entry will be on first-come first-served basis.