Post expires at 5:20pm on Tuesday May 21st, 2019
The Society for Creative Anachronism Inc. is accepting applications for the position of Society Chatelaine.
The Society Chatelaine is the officer responsible for training, advising and coordinating public outreach, newcomer acquisition, acclimation and retention for the SCA. This officer is currently a deputy to the Society Seneschal. Duties include:
- Coordinating and monitoring the efforts of kingdom chatelaines/hospitallers
- Developing and maintaining materials for recruitment, newcomer orientation and retention, and local officer training.
- Maintaining a knowledge base for SCA demos, as well as monitoring compliance with the SCA demo policy/guidelines document.
- Work closely with other Society-level officers to create, implement, and monitor Society-wide marketing efforts aimed at new member acquisition and member retention.
- Performing other duties assigned by the Board or Society Seneschal as directed.
Successful candidates for this position must have demonstrated leadership skills, problem-solving expertise, and experience with project management. A basic understanding of membership marketing principles and chapter development is strongly suggested.
Applicants should be able to travel to other Kingdoms as necessary and have easy access to phone, mail, and reliable e-mail. An applicant must be a paid member of the Society and must be able to meet quarterly reporting deadlines in a timely manner.
This position presents the opportunity to help preserve the rich traditions of the Society and assure its future by assisting in recruiting and retaining newcomers. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to help introduce people to this game and will have long term, positive impact on thousands of participants across the world.
As the SCA is the largest historic recreation organization in the world, with a membership of over 30,000 across the globe, the successful candidate will be assuming a role which not only offers the opportunity to grow the SCA, but to obtain significant professional experience, despite it being an unpaid position.
Chatelaine will begin working with the outgoing Chatelaine in April 2019, in preparation for taking over the position in July 2019.
Questions regarding the position may be directed to Jennifer Krochmal, Society Chatelaine via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Résumés, including SCA offices held and awards received, must be sent via email to email@example.com. Résumés must be received by March 15, 2019.
If you choose to send in comments, please use the subject “Society Chatelaine Position Feedback”
Comments are strongly encouraged and can be sent to:
Milpitas, CA 95036
You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This announcement is an official informational release by the Society for Creative Anachronism , Inc. Permission is granted to reproduce this announcement in its entirety in newsletters, websites and electronic mailing lists.
When: March, Friday 22nd, (after work hours), Saturday 23rd, & Sunday 24th
Post expires at 4:57pm on Monday March 25th, 2019
Their Majesties Dongal and Catalina have called upon Their Baronies, Shires and Cantons to join them
on the fields of Gulf Wars, and preparations are well under way. Soon we will march east, the Falcon
Host soaring amongst a sky of black stars. Make ready your harness, make ready your voices, we shall
sing together in glorious victory or death.The levy has been summoned. Her Majesty Catalina has called forth her Fyrdmen to stand fearlessly
shoulder to shoulder with her in battle. Will you join Her?
If you will be attending the war in March please take a moment to sign the Muster so that Their Majesties
may know all who will be attending.
Please note that pre-registration for Gulf Wars is now open, and will close February 15th, 2019. You can
register by mail or online at https://www.gulfwars.org/registration/. Be sure to register as camping with
Calontir! Pre-registering is the only way to ensure we have the allotted land we will need for the
Host we bring.
Winter War Manuevers will be held on January 26th in the Barony of Mag Mor. I request that all who are
able to attend. There will be classes covering shield wall tactics, spear work, and charging. There are
many drills planned for the day; we will fight until they make us leave!
The War Council and I are happy to announce the Calontir Scutari, a new shield design. Please see Sir
Aiden O’Shea’s announcement concerning construction dimensions. We anticipate being able to field a
few of them at the war.
In ever faithful service,
Eques Uldin of Ravenscroft
Harvested from Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/CalontirWarCouncil/posts/525210114632082
The Calontir Scutari is a center grip War Oval of a standard dimension to be used in the more mobile, fluid formations and scenarios like open field battles, ravine/res battles, and broken field battles. The Scutari is not designed to replace the Scutum, but to augment its use so that the Army can be more effective in certain scenarios that require mobility and tactical flexibility.
The Scutum wall is the best at what it does and in the scenarios that we need the Scutum wall there is no substitute. But, for quite a while Calontir has been using the scutum in different capacities. It’s use in some of these capacities are not ideal, but the lack of consistency of sizes and shapes of secondary shields do not allow for good unit cohesion if needed to be used as a line of defense. The Scutari will allow the Army to maintain a line defense but give us the mobility to advance and reform quicker, as well as allow us to defend in different ways that we can not do with the Scutum wall.
The Scutari should be made in one of two ways:
The Calontiri Standard
- The Scutari should be made from 6061 T-6 Aircraft Aluminum of .100 inch thickness or other acceptable SCA combat legal variant. If you wish to build your shield in a spangen style that is acceptable as well.
- War Oval Dimensions: 24″ wide x 40″ high with a 2″ vertical curve. (NOTE: the Scutari can be made flat, but a slight curve allows for better use) Rounded top and bottom should be a full half circle design, not a tapered point or other shape.
- Centergrip should be at the center point vert/horz. on every shield. The hole for the boss should be between 6″ – 7″ in diameter to allow any full gauntlet to be used.
- The boss should be between 3″ – 4″ deep allowing for any full gauntlet to be used. The Handle should be between 1″ – 1.5″ in diameter metal pipe or similar design. The handle should be vertical along the center line of the shield, not horizontal and not offset to the right or left. If you want to pad or wrap your handle for grip that is acceptable. Also, guide straps can be added for transport.
The concept of The Calontir Standard is to allow any fighter in the army to use or pickup a dropped Scutari at any time. Right or left handed and be able to effectively use that shield in the line. So, The Calontir Standard is set to allow the most variety in user, very much like the design of our scutums.
The Calontir Custom
Since the Scutari is not designed to be used as a solid “wall” or grounded, some fighters may choose to make their own Scutari to specifically fit their own body type. Below is how you determine the parameters of “The Calontir Custom” and still be able to use the scutari within the army line
- Get into your fighting stance, knees slightly bent. As if you were standing in the Calontir line with a shield.
- Measure from the top of your forward knee to the bottom of your nose. That will be your vertical measurement
- Get out of your stance and stand straight. Measure from the outside edge of your shoulder across to the other outside edge of your shoulder. This will be the horizontal measurement.
This design will allow a Dreadnaught class fighter to build a shield that will protect them on the field. It will also allow a Cruiser weight fighter to build a shield that will protect them as well.
The rest of the manufacture of the shield will be the same as “The Calontir Standard”. Same center grip, hole, and grip design.
Greetings unto My Glorious Kingdom,
As many of you know well, it brings Me great joy when we take services we provide as a Kingdom and make them as close to historical practices as possible.
On this single day, the Cook’s Guild will provide provisions that would have been taken on pilgrimage or campaign.
I have requested that the menu for that One day will consist of bone broth, bread, butter, pickled items, meat, and cheeses.
As soon as a date is determined for this experiment an announcement will be made.
Master Crag Duggan approached me a few months ago about creating an online repository for his historical material; a collection of interviews and stories he made and collected as he researched and documented the early history of Calontir. After discussing with Crag and with Mistress Sofya la Rus, we determined that the Calontiri Wiki would be the best platform.
Sofya has completed uploading the first tranche of material, and it is available now at Category:Master Crag’s Histories
We hope you enjoy them.
Non Nobis Solum