The Society Seneschal, A.J. Pongratz, has provided legal guidance for Youth Combat activities at Pennsic in light of recent changes in Pennsylvania law. The full text is quite long, and is posted in full at The East Kingdom Gazette http://eastkingdomgazette.org/2015/07/01/societys-guidelines-for-youth-combat-at-pennsic-and-changes-to-pa-laws/
However, the pertinent part of the statement is:
In reviewing the official website of the Pennsylvania Department of Health and Human Services and the recent statute with other officers and agents of the SCA, I have determined that this statute will not impact on Heavy Combat or Rapier Combat by minor children of the age of 16 or 17 nor youth activities.
Thanks to Mistress Eleanor Deyeson:
- Uldin of Ravenscroft – sunset – vigil overnight at the Fort on the battlefield
- Cionnadh mac Cosgraigh – 7:00pm – vigil in Conna’s encampment in B3R (meet at taste of Calontir)
- Eric de Tyr – sunset – vigil overnight at HG Ostwalt’s camp near the battlefield (meet at Royal Pavillion)
- Eric de Tyr – 9:30am – Knighting ceremony on the battlefield
- Uldin of Ravenscroft – 5:00pm – Knighting ceremony in opening court
- Cionnadh mac Cosgraigh – 5:00pm – Laurel ceremony in opening court
- Guillaume la Sudeterre – after court – vigil in the bronze casting area (meet after court)
- Mathieu Chartrain – 7:00pm – vigil in Jorunn and Avraham’s camp (meet prior at Grand Pavilion)
- Maren Thorskapitr – 6:00pm – vigil in tent near permanent shelter on the point where the C d’E party is
- Guillaume la Sudeterre – 5:00pm – Laurel ceremony in Grand Court
- Maren Thorskapitr – 5:00pm – Pelican ceremony in Grand Court
- Gustav Jameson – 9:30am – Pelican ceremony at the Ladies of the Rose tourney field
- Mathieu Chartrain – 1:00pm – Laurel ceremony at closing court
Gathered from Facebook:
Lillies War Tournaments Needs You!
For any Heralds and/or List Ministers not on the Heralds’ lists, below is a link to a spreadsheet of all the tournaments I know of, which has been updated since the last post. Please sign up for individual activities by putting your name in the appropriate cell. You are on your honor to a) fulfill your signup and b) not mess with any names already there. If you want to be a part of something that’s already spoken for, show up anyway! We all work together well!
Speaking of working together, also keep the Camp Cries in mind! See Ozurr Sviðbalki for details!
And hang out at the consulting table with Lisa Sofya Kies!
YIS, Logan Munro
Statement issued by the Pennsic staff:
In compliance with new Pennsylvania Commonwealth Law and due to potential medical risk considerations involving martial activities the following policy is now in effect:
Minors authorized in martial activities and bearing a gold tape diamond on their helms on which their parent or legal guardian’s cell phone number is written, may participate in battles. Parents should have the cell phone in hand in case of emergency
Additionally, from the Midrealm Earl Marshal:
NB: The mayor has incorrectly stated that the gold diamond for rapier combatants should be on the helm – it should be on the cuff of the gauntlet, per Society Rules.
As first reported by The Ealdormere Gazette:
Changes in legislation in the State of Pennsylvania will have an impact on how attendees under the age of 18 may participate. Through their Keep Kids Safe website, Pennsylvania has announced that, beginning July 1, 2015, an adult applying for an unpaid position as a volunteer responsible for the welfare of a child or having direct contact with children will need clearances.
This new law states that anyone responsible for the “supervision, guidance or control of children or [who has] routine interaction with children” must go through a clearance process that may include a finger print check by the FBI.
With this new law, there is speculation across Social Media as to whether youth will be able to participate in armoured combat, or even youth combat, if all the marshals have not gone through this clearance process. Under this legislation, it might also be impossible for seventeen year olds to freely wander about the Pennsic site since they will have interaction with security and other event volunteers who have not gone through the clearance process.
The Ealdormere Gazette has reached out to Baroness Briatiz D’Andrade, Pennsic War 44’s Media Liaison, and we hope to hear from her soon.
For more information, read the FAQ about this legislation.
[Edit: We have been informed that this issue is being investigated by the Pennsic Mayor and the Seneschals of the three Pennsic kingdoms.]
From the Lilies War website:
Here is the information if you are curious about camping with the Company of Travelers.
The Company of Travelers once again invites anyone interested a more medieval atmosphere to camp with us. We are an informal Calontir group supporting attempts to be more medieval in any aspect, ranging from accoutrement to persona interaction. The camping area is intended to enhance the medieval experience by keeping blatantly modern things out of sight.
The guidelines are pretty simple:
1. To protect the medieval visual aspect, cars are allowed in for set up/tear down only between the hours of 9 am to 10 am and 3 pm to 4 pm from Sunday through Thursday.
2. All modern things should be kept out of the general view. Tents, furniture, and other large equipment should be of a period nature. No modern tents or shade flies as well as any other blatantly modern items please.
3. Due to several people with severe allergic reactions, we ask that this be kept a non-smoking area.
This is certainly not the only period encampment at Lilies War, but if you want to try it, please join us!
Countess Gwen A’Brooke
Official announcement from Pennsic:
Effective this year, The Pennsic War can not provide refrigeration service for individuals needing storage of medications.If you must bring sensitive medicines that need refrigeration please take that into consideration when making your Pennsic plans.
Lord Janos Katona has won the Gulf Wars 24 War Bard competition. This marks three years in a row that a Calontiri has won.
UPDATE: This post was updated to correct Lord Janos’ title.
From Her Highness Isabeau, via Facebook:
We have received word that we will be giving gifts to Ansteorra for the gift exchange at Gulf Wars. If anyone would like to make something special to put into the gift basket please let me know. Their preferences and personal heraldry can be found here. http://crown.ansteorra.org/
While kingdom colors are good, often We prefer to gives gifts with personal heraldry and colors, so that the items can be kept by the royals rather than going into regalia.
Picked up from Facebook:
Calontir! Your Queen calls you to war!
Her Majesty Gwen will be attending Diamond Wars in the Kingdom of Gleann Abhann October 16-19. This will be an official muster, as requested by Her Majesty, so yes, the purple pavilion will be there to shelter the army!
If you are able to go, sign up on the muster list!http://www.calontirfyrd.org/muster/
More info about the event is here: http://smallgraybear.org/diamondwars/
I will be there! Will you?