Illustration of the Battle of Barnet (14 April 1471) on the Ghent manuscript. Public domain in the US
As The War of the Lilies has multiple opportunities for court, this reporter could not be everywhere and attend all courts. Therefore, I apologize in advance for any missing awards and/or misspelled names, and will gratefully accept corrections to this report. Please contact me at DorcasWhitecap (at) gmail (dot) com
Saturday evening court, June 10
Áed Ua Conchobair – AoA
Ulfvaldr Folkmarsson – Leather Mallet
Magnús Þorgrimsson – Leather Mallet
Vincent de Vere – Silver Hammer
Linda of Forgotten Sea – AoA
Robert Brockman – Court Baronage
Jürgen Weiter von Landstuhl – Laurel
Other court happenings Saturday evening:
19 newcomers received mugs.
Sunday field courts, June 11
John Bowyer – Iren Hirth
Yngvarr Oakson – Iren Fyrd
Vim of Flinthyll – Iren Fyrd
Jon Chesey – Iren Fyrd
Deo MacCillian – Iren Fyrd
Verena Näherin – Stile Fyrd
Wednesday evening court, June 14
Ivan Porvinnen – AoA
Isibil Edvinsdottir – Leather Mallet
Cecilia de Gatisbury – Calon Lily
Tigernan Flann – Torse
Juliana Macnayre – Cross of Calontir
Carson D’AuxErre – Purple Jess (premier)
Sorcha O’Riain – Laurel
Other court happenings Wednesday evening:
Ms. Thora Sigurdsdottir is the new Chancellor of RUSH.
Robert Dunlop was named the new Royal Brewer.
HL Alessandra de Piro is the new Archer General.
Friday field courts, June 16
Duncan Fearmac MacLeod – Pelican
Michael the Wanderer – Boga Hirth
Eric Thorn – Boga Fyrd
Hirsch Ross Eichman – Boga Fyrd
William Douglas – Stile Hirth
Gawin Kappler – Stile Hirth
Wilheard of Coity – Iren Fyrd
Aesileif Jotunsdottir – Iren Fyrd
Friday evening court, June 16
Robert Dunlop – AoA
Robert Shelton – Queen’s Chalice
Aastasia – Queen’s Chalice
Alto the Agreeable – AoA
Winnifred d’Artois – Laurel
Maegwynn Attewode – Golden Calon Swan
Olaf Thorvaldr – Leather Mallet
Faustus Cantilius Lupus – Leather Mallet
Felix Feyrer – AoA
Lynette Davéjean – Augmentation of Arms
Catalina de Arazuri – Pelican
Other court happenings Friday evening:
HL Johan der Hund received a bracelet from HRM Bryce of Meridies.
Vaclav Semjaka received a Chivalry scroll from Calontir, since he never got one from the Midrealm
It was announced that the Fyrd auction raised over $1000.
Handouts from the meeting:
The first report was by Mistress Katherine von Heilige, event co-steward, on promotion of this year’s War. The event stewards are planning a major effort to promote the War and bring up attendance. Promotional materials, including “save the date” cards, are being printed for distribution at Gulf War and other out of Kingdom events this spring. Folks traveling out of Kingdom are also encouraged to talk up the War, make friends and invite them to Lilies.
The remainder of the meeting was conducted by Mistress Rebecca Beaumont, Lilies Committee Chair. Highlights of the meeting include:
- Many cost-cutting measures have already been implemented, including eliminating/consolidating tents. The Grand Pavilion has been eliminated, and several groups such as the Tailors and the waterbearers are either providing their own tents or utilizing tents and sunshades that are already in existence.
- Lost Moor has also made a generous and perpetual donation to the waterbearers, and other such donations are expected, but cannot be included in budgets.
- Over the past several years, attendance on the last Saturday has been shrinking. Various attempts to encourage folks to stay have had no real success. That extra day costs approximately $3000. As an experiment to see if shortening the war is feasible and desirable, the Committee voted not to have any War sponsored activities on Saturday this year. Their Royal Majesties had already determined They would hold their closing court on Friday, and Mistress Lynette Davejean had moved the finals for the 100 Arrow Shoot to Friday as well so it was determined this would be a good year to test the concept. The site will still be open Saturday, as usual, and members of the populace are encouraged to “make their own fun”.
- The committee voted to raise the site fee to between $60 and $70, the final number will be discussed at a future meeting. It was also agreed to keep site fees for minors at $25. Also discussed was raising the age for minors, and a partial-war fee, though no decisions were made on either of these ideas.
- The proposed budget was passed by the Committee.
- Due to some financial and logistical restraints and setbacks, the Lilies Committee is unsure if on site ice will be available for Lilies War 31. If you know of a company that the Committee might be able to contact about providing ice for the war, please send their contact information to Mistress Rebecca Beaumont, the Lilies Committee Chair at LiliesChair@calontir.org.
Please contact Rebecca, Murdoch or Kat if you have constructive input on ways to make Lilies War a success.
The Lilies War website: http://www.lilieswar.org/
Detail from the Hunterian Psalter, Glasgow University Library MS Hunter 229 (U.3.2) circa 1170. Public domain in the US
Illustration of the Battle of Barnet (14 April 1471) on the Ghent manuscript. Public domain in the US
Opening court, June 11, A.S. 51
Fritjolf of Forgotten Sea – Queen’s Chalice
Theo of Forgotten Sea – Queen’s Chalice
Isengrim Sleggja – Laurel
Honorable Lord Eynon Llangenydd was named the new Royal Brewer.
On the field, June 12
Hildibrandr Tjúguskegg – Order of Chivalry/Knight
Grand court, June 16
14 people received First Event mugs.
A boon was begged for Mathurin Kerbusso to join the Order of the Pelican.
Snorri Bjornsson – Calon Cross
There were 7 Kestrel Page School graduates.
Zaneta Baseggio – Golden Calon Swan
Amon Attwood – Torse
Joan Myssenden – Leather Mallet AND Golden Calon Swan
Már í Miklagarði – QED for Chivalry
At the Ladies of the Rose, June 16
Donald Andrew MacDonald – Stile Hirth
Alan Smyith of Darkdale – Stile Hirth
At the Waterbearer’s Tournament, June 17
Garcia – Iren Fyrd
Jochi – Iren Fyrd
After the Fireworks, June 17
Aela 100 Oars – Iren Fera
Correction: A previous version of this article stated that Donald and Alan were Hus’d at the Lilies Ball.
The Lilies Fireworks Fundraising auction has many wonderful items. This is auction is being conducted on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Liliesfireworks/. All proceeds go to the Lilies Fireworks fund.
The Auction will close at 10am CST on March 1. Additional donated items are welcome, the more the merrier the show.
Items are listed below, and the list will be updated as new items are added. (Sorry, we cannot post photos from Facebook.)
- Shield painting by Aiden Groundpounder
- 1 hour massage by Majnun
- Glass bead making weekend with Mistress Sorcha Ingen Ni Mhaolain
- Wooden cooler donated by Tim Hooper
- Knock flat stool made and donated by HL Hugh du Puy
- Son of Anachronism T shirt donated by Bunisher Metal works, Sir Cai Douglas. Size XXXL
- Custom Heraldic feast gear. This feast gear will be made to a design that is agreed upon by the winner and the artist. Made and donated by Painted Sky Pottery, HL Marie le Faivre. Marie will double the set if the bidding goes over $200
- Print of the original artwork “The Falcon Cross of Calontir” Drawn, designed, and donated by HL Cearr Mac Brendan
- HL Cearr Mac Brendan is a professional tattoo Artist, he has donated a $150 gift certificate to his shop, Nuclear Ink in Omaha, NE
- Custom Paternoster made and donated by Konstantia Kaloethina
- Custom Embroidered Hood made and decorated with a design agreed upon by the winner and the artist. By Countess Issabell St. Charles
- Aurora dress Donated by Linengarb.com
- Rus pants Donated by LinenGarb.com
- Mistress Aiden has donated a C&I starter kit, all you need to get started. Kit includes Books, pens, inks, paint, and brushes. Retail value is over $1000
- A custom string of Glass beads in your colors, approximately 30 beads. Made and donated my Mistress Sorcha Ingen Ni Mhaolain
- One set of stainless steel silverware. Hand made and donated by HL Nikita Pashavich
- Viking hat. Color Burnt orange with darker border. Created by naalbiding using the Jorvik stitch in worsted weight 100% merino wool. Unstretched, hat is 8.5 inches deep and 23 inches in circumference. Should fit heads in the 22 to 25 inch range. Donated and made by HL Cassandra Peverell
- Black wool iutter, linen lining, hand sewn & hand embroidered with Silk/wool. Made and donated my Mistress Thora
- Lady Anna Plantain has up for your bidding pleasure Hand spun 400 yards fingering weight yarn in Calontir purple
- Wooden Chair, packs almost flat, Back slides into the bottom for ease of transport and carrying to and from you camp or car. Made and donated by HE Avraham Ben David Hakhuzari
- Basic no frills starter helm Conical in Styling. Solid helm, brand new. Made and donated my Sir Andrew Ward
- Lady Anna Plantain has for you embroiderers 100 yards embroidery weight double ply wool hand spun floss. The winner gets choice of colors up to three colors for 100 yards total
- 16th century English blackwork embroidered women’s cap, silk embroidery on linen. Made and donated by Lady Josefina DelTorre
- Quarrel quiver. Yellow dyed leather with a band of purple dyed leather that has a Calontir falcon cut out. Made and donated by HL Juliana Macnayre
- Fabric coronet, made with your specifications and will be ready by Lilies. Design will be agreed upon by the artist and the purchaser. Custom made and donated by Mistress Adena
- Hood in blue medium weight wool, lined in white linen. Seam treatments will be done in gold and cream thread. Made and donated by Mistress Rebecca Beaumont
- Trim hand embroidered with love by Mistress Lyriel. Trim measures roughly 7 yards in length, width of a palm
- White woven belt, approx. 2 yds long, wool and woven and donated By Lord Thomas the Black
- Trim in black/grey/white/red trim approx. 13ft long, 1″ wide, wool. Hand woven and donated by Lord Thomas the Black
- Red wool knitted cowl, wear this cowl to stay warm at those chilly events. Knitted and donated by HL Rose Ni Rory
- Purple and gold wool socks. These will be a commission piece to ensure they fit the winner properly. To be knitted and donated by HL Rose Ni Rory
- Custom Roman inspired necklace by THL Jibra’il ‘Attar. Necklace will be delivered within two weeks of design consultation with the winner. There are two of these in the auction
- Butter tarts. HL Miranda Logansdottir will make you 2 dozen hand made butter tarts. They will be delivered to the auction winner at an event agreed upon by the winner and HL Miranda
- Six board pine chest made and donated by Halvgrimr Riddari. Size is 24″ long x 18″ high x 12″ wide. Box to be delivered at Lilies war
- A gift basket of 1 dozen handmade soaps of the recipients choosing. Made and donated by Lady Antonia Stefani
- Brand new Talhoffer buckler. Donated by Sir Duncan of Skeene
- Hand repousse Pelican Medallion. This is the first copper Pelican medallion made by Master Alan Smyth of Darkdale. Own a piece of history form a wonderful artisan. Donated by Master Alan himself
- Beautiful pewter cloak clasp from the merchant Vault of Valhalla. clasp is approximately 4.5 inches across the clasp. Donated by Vault of Valhalla (HL Paul Adler)
- Dinner for 6 to be cooked on site and served at either Gulf Wars or Lilies. Winner must provide feast gear. Menu specifics will be decided upon by cook and the winner. A sample idea would be composed salad, lamb roast with 2 sides, dessert. Can tailor to specific tastes and/or persona. Donated by HE Marie du Puy
- A period correct hilt of your preference for a blade you provide. Highest bid gets to select a pre-17th century hilt type (documented to 1599 or earlier) and a personalized decorative theme. Grip and pommel are included in this donation. *Blade not included* donated and made by Lord Gassion Beaumarchais
- One Riveted steel cauldron. These cauldrons are hand dished and riveted together by HL Hildibrandr.
- Beautiful hat with faux fur trim. The hat is reversible, and the tassel can be moved easily to the other side of the hat completing the look. Hat fits up to a 23.5″ head. This hat was made and donated by HE Ayesha de Warwick of Ansteorra
- Own a piece of Calontir History with this next item. Original Lilies banner bought at a regalia auction years ago. Donator believes it is from the first Lilies. Banner is heavy cotton applique, all in good condition, no fraying anywhere. Back side is somewhat (but mostly evenly) faded from being hung in a window. Donated by HE Branwen Ferch Rhael
- This is a crossover rapier blade with a 6″ tang and a crossover longsword blade with a 10″ tang (separate items). These blades are slightly heavier and stiffer than the standard rapier blades, these have the same features with a wider profile. Crossover blades are designed to meet the flex requirements for both Rapier and Cut & Thrust, HEMA and WMA combat. These blades have a 3″ricasso. Blade Only Generously donated by Castille Armory
- A complete Feder long sword. Blade- 38″ long, 1lb 14oz. With of blade (from fort to tip) fort 1-1/8″, schilt 1-7/8″, blade/schilt shoulder 7/8″, @12″ 7/8″, @20″ 3/4″, @30″ 1/2″, tip is spatulated 5/16″ swelled and rounded.Blade thickness is .214 at the schilt, @ 12″ .190, @20″ .160, @30″ .125. The tip swells in the last 3/4 inch to .214. The guard is made from a2 3/8 thick steel and is contoured. The complete length is 51.5″. The complete weight is 3lbs 8 oz. Flex is centered @ 26″ from the fort for a perfect “last third flex.” Balance is centered at the front of the schilt; 2.75″ in front of the guard. Also donated by Castille Armory
- One 1/4 or 1/2 Scale Mary Rose chest. With interior compartments, a six panel chest or a Norse chest. Which ever the winner of the bid wishes. Artisan will work with the winner to determine their needs and desires for finishes on the chest. Chests will be made from pine and suitable for camp or home. Donated by Lord John Bowyer
- A Calontir Purple haversack decorated with a yellow machine embroidered striking falcon. made and donated by Lady Lillian Bowyer
- Lady Lillian Bowyer also offers a second bag. The bag will be made in consultation with the winner and be delivered upon completion. The bag is wool with a linen lining and two interior pockets. The hand stitching and patterns will be done in the Bayeux tapestry style and can be either a design the winner and Lillian work on or a design from the tapestry itself.
- Custom banner by HL Konstantia Kaloethina. Banner will be delivered upon completion.
The site fee for Lilies War XXX has been reduced to $30, and there will be no merchant fees.
For more information about Lilies War, go to http://lilieswar.org. New information and updates will begin appearing in January 2016.
Thanks to Mistress Eleanor Deyeson:
- Uldin of Ravenscroft – sunset – vigil overnight at the Fort on the battlefield
- Cionnadh mac Cosgraigh – 7:00pm – vigil in Conna’s encampment in B3R (meet at taste of Calontir)
- Eric de Tyr – sunset – vigil overnight at HG Ostwalt’s camp near the battlefield (meet at Royal Pavillion)
- Eric de Tyr – 9:30am – Knighting ceremony on the battlefield
- Uldin of Ravenscroft – 5:00pm – Knighting ceremony in opening court
- Cionnadh mac Cosgraigh – 5:00pm – Laurel ceremony in opening court
- Guillaume la Sudeterre – after court – vigil in the bronze casting area (meet after court)
- Mathieu Chartrain – 7:00pm – vigil in Jorunn and Avraham’s camp (meet prior at Grand Pavilion)
- Maren Thorskapitr – 6:00pm – vigil in tent near permanent shelter on the point where the C d’E party is
- Guillaume la Sudeterre – 5:00pm – Laurel ceremony in Grand Court
- Maren Thorskapitr – 5:00pm – Pelican ceremony in Grand Court
- Gustav Jameson – 9:30am – Pelican ceremony at the Ladies of the Rose tourney field
- Mathieu Chartrain – 1:00pm – Laurel ceremony at closing court
Gathered from Facebook:
Lillies War Tournaments Needs You!
For any Heralds and/or List Ministers not on the Heralds’ lists, below is a link to a spreadsheet of all the tournaments I know of, which has been updated since the last post. Please sign up for individual activities by putting your name in the appropriate cell. You are on your honor to a) fulfill your signup and b) not mess with any names already there. If you want to be a part of something that’s already spoken for, show up anyway! We all work together well!
Speaking of working together, also keep the Camp Cries in mind! See Ozurr Sviðbalki for details!
And hang out at the consulting table with Lisa Sofya Kies!
YIS, Logan Munro
Greetings Calontir. I bring additional news concerning the Deeds tourney at Lillies.
There has been a schedule change moving the tourney from Thursday to Wednesday at 1 PM.
Below is the flyer for the tournament. Please email if you have any additional questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday Night at Lilies! 5pm! Blood of Heroes! Picnic! Violence! Food! Comraderie!
Everyone is Welcome, Fyrd, Non Fyrd, Fighters and Non Fighters!
If you would like to bring something for the picnic please post it here as anything would help!
We still need water bearers, marshals and grill masters!
The Lilies Master Class List is online now. It is also available at http://www.lilieswar.org/550/lilies-schedules
The Class List: